President Muhammadu Buhari’s incessant travels to the United Kingdom for medical therapy have taken a complete 200 days or about seven months since he assumed workplace in May 2015.
In his present journey, Buhari who went to the UK for “a summit and scheduled medical follow-up” is anticipated to be again by subsequent week which makes it over 200 days.
Buhari’s penchant for overseas medical assistance is in stark distinction with the continuing, biting medical doctors’ strike in Nigeria which has paralysed authorities hospitals and put the lives of tens of millions of ailing Nigerians within the steadiness.
The newest medical journey to the UK is Buhari’s seventh since he was first sworn into workplace on May 29, 2015.
By the second week of August, when the president is due again, he would have spent about 200 days in London on official medical journeys.
SaharaReporters had on April 1 reported that Buhari spent over 193 days on medical go away within the United Kingdom since he assumed workplace in 2015.
Only in April, Buhari went to the UK for similar therapy, in line with an announcement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina.
SaharaReporters had examined a timeline of the president’s journeys overseas for medical therapy since he assumed workplace on May 29, 2015.
1. February 5, 2016 to February 10, 2016: Buhari took a six-day trip within the United Kingdom, saying that his medical doctors lived in England.
2. June 6 to June 19, 2016: Buhari spent practically two weeks in Britain the place he had therapy for an ear an infection and a vacation.
He reportedly flew to London on June 6 to see an ear, nostril and throat specialist after two medical doctors in Nigeria advisable additional analysis “as a precaution”, his staff stated.
He prolonged his journey by three days to relaxation.
3. January 19 to March 10, 2017: Buhari went to London once more on a medical trip on January 19. He wrote the National Assembly on February 5 looking for extension of his London medical go away. The president did not return till March 10 however didn’t resume work instantly at Aso Villa. The Presidency stated “he’s working from home.” Buhari spent a complete of 51 days outdoors the nation.
4. May 7, 2017: Buhari launched into a visit to London for an additional medical trip. He returned after 104 days on August 19 however couldn’t resume work as a result of rats had reportedly broken furnishings in his workplace.
The Presidency introduced he could be working from residence.
5. May 8, 2018: Buhari went to London for a four-day “medical review.” The president returned on May 11, 2018.
6. April 25 to May 5, 2019: The president once more launched into a 10-day non-public go to to the United Kingdom.
7. March 30 to April 6 2021: The president has launched into one other journey for a routine medical check-up in London. He is to return on April 6 tentatively.
In abstract, Buhari spent 19 days in 2016, 155 days in 2017, and 4 days in 2018 getting therapy within the UK.
In 2019, the president launched into a 10-day non-public journey to the UK suspected to be for medical causes.
In 2020, the president couldn’t make his journey as a result of coronavirus pandemic which induced a halt in flight operations.
In the primary three years of his first tenure from May 2015 to May 2019, he was outdoors the nation for a mixed 404 days – one yr and 39 days in 33 international locations, which was each for official and medical functions.