President Muhammadu Buhari’s authorities was pressured to deploy the previous service chiefs – General Gabriel Olonisakin (retd.), Lt Gen Tukur Buratai (retd.), and three others to neighbouring international locations for a lot of causes, army sources accustomed to the event have revealed to SaharaReporters.
Buratai had been appointed to the Benin Republic, whereas Olonisakin was taken to Cameroon; in the meantime, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (retd.) was taken to Ghana; former Chief of Naval Staff, Air Vice Marshal Sadique Abubakar (retd.) was taken to Chad and the Air Vice Marshal Muhammad Usman (retd.), the previous Chief of Defence Intelligence, goes to the Niger Republic.
Contrary to well-liked opinion that the previous army chiefs have been deployed to safe Nigeria, some army sources said that the previous service chiefs have been posted to the “backyards” to keep away from a nationwide embarrassment as they may be rejected.
“Some of the former service chiefs actually wanted choice postings to Pakistan, United Arab Emirates, and other countries with vast military and defence capabilities, but the Presidency had feelers that they would be rejected and this would cause a national embarrassment.
“There were petitions already from several quarters to the United Nations and most European, the Middle East and North American countries against the former chiefs, and there are fears that they would be rejected by the host governments. This is why they were sent to countries that are more or less indebted to Nigeria,” one of many sources said.
“Most of these choice countries have strong petitions against the former service chiefs and they are wary of bringing a retired military general who would be spying on their country. They knew that the former service chiefs were not qualified for the position, so there were fears that the service chiefs would be rejected,” one other supply confirmed.
“On the flip side, some of the former service chiefs don’t want to leave the country; they want to continue to monitor the military and the assets they have acquired in the country. So, they are contended to be backyard ambassadors.”
Buhari had sacked all the previous service chiefs on January 26.
The President subsequently introduced the nomination of the rapid previous service chiefs on February 4 as non-career ambassadors, a choice which was greeted with widespread condemnation.
The determination was condemned by most Nigerians who believed that the previous service chiefs needs to be probed significantly on the controversial $1 billion arms fund launched between 2018 and 2019.
Nigerians additionally mentioned Buratai and his colleagues should seem earlier than the International Criminal Court, The Hague, Netherlands, to reply for a number of massacres within the nation below their watch with the newest being October 2020 Lekki taking pictures, the place a disputable variety of civilian protesters have been killed and injured.
They additionally famous that the previous Chief of Army Staff and probably others have to be probed for what has change into often called the Zaria bloodbath, which was carried out by the Nigerian Army in Zaria, Kaduna State, on December 12, 2015, towards Shia Muslims, principally members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria.
At least 348 civilians have been reportedly killed, with 347 our bodies allegedly secretly buried by the military in a mass grave.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama had earlier in an announcement on Tuesday introduced the postings of the previous service chiefs.