Some staff among the many Federal Government’s 774,000 Special Public Works scheme employees have lamented that the federal government has not paid them three months’ salaries.
The staff, in separate interviews with SaharaReporters, acknowledged that the majority of them who used a sure business financial institution had but to be paid their monies.
The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, had mentioned in June that the salaries had been disbursed to the beneficiaries.
According to the information supplied by the minister, about 413,630 Nigerians, drawn from rural communities and principally itinerant staff, had been paid.
However, a number of the beneficiaries defined that that they had not obtained a dime from the cash earmarked for the nationwide challenge within the final three months.
Speaking on Monday, certainly one of them acknowledged that there have been no remunerations within the financial institution accounts managed by the United Bank of Africa (UBA).
The two staff interviewed are residents of Ogbomosho in Oyo state.
Siyanbola Ojo mentioned, “Majority of us have not been paid. I think there is a problem with those of us using UBA banks and maybe others. I went to complain in my bank. When they showed me the account details, they didn’t match my details. Maybe it was the ministry or the bank. They told me they were on it.
“Then on the website, there is a statement that always reads, ‘Based on your input the following participants(s) seem(s) to be on the main or supplementary selection list. The participant has not been registered but is on the list. Kindly register him or her.”
Corroborating the story, one other affected beneficiary, Mr Oladeji Olanrewaju informed SaharaReporters that he had not been paid for 3 months.
“I just discovered that there was nothing in my account. I went to my bank, that’s UBA. They said those of us with UBA bank accounts have not been credited. It’s for all the three months that we have not been paid. They just promised they would do something about it, but nothing yet,” Olanrewaju mentioned.
The minister had claimed that the programme achieved a 60 per cent success charge.
“So, we started implementation in January 2020 in eight states. We just started one month into the implementation when COVID-19 struck. So, we could not actually complete the exercise at that time. The Federal Government released one-month stipends at that time to pay the beneficiaries in those eight states,” he had mentioned.